The University of Chittagong is a multidisciplinary public research university located in the 2110-acre Hatehpur Union area of Hatazari Upazila, 22 kilometers north of the city of Chittagong in Bangladesh. The university has the largest venue among universities in Bangladesh. The university’s academic activities began on November 18, 1966. It has about 24,000 students and more than 100 members.
The University of Chittagong is located on an area of about 1754 hectares of mountainous land Mouza Jangal Paschchim-Patty of the Fatehpur organization under Hathajari Upazila, 22 kilometers north of the town of Chittagong. This is the third-largest university in the country. The university’s educational activities officially began on November 18, 1966. From the beginning of the 20th century, an enlightened class of local people pressured them to establish a university in Chittagong. In view of the long-running demand on December 28, 1940, Moulana Muniruzzaman Islamabadi unveiled news of the establishment of the Islamic University in Chittagong while presiding over the All India Jamiate Ullamaye Hind conference in Kolkata. He also bought land for that purpose in Deang Hills under the Anwara Upazila district of Chittagong. On February 28, 1942, Chief Justice Nur Ahmed formally filed a lawsuit in the Bengal Legislative Assembly to establish a university in Chittagong.
The Pakistani government has decided to establish a ‘Science University’ in Chittagong during the 2nd Five-Year Plan (1960-65). The Chittagong Government College campus in the heart of the city center was selected as a university campus. Fazlul Kader Chowdhury of Chittagong during the 1962 election offered a commitment to establish a University in Chittagong. He also established the profession later on as Minister of Education. Earlier, the initial decision to set up a third public university at that time East Pakistan in the building of Chittagong Government College was reversed. A local intelligence group organized a meeting at Kittagong Muslim Hall to protest against the changed decision. Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah delivered his speech as the chief guest at a meeting that approved the establishment of Chittagong University and to meet the demands established by the Chittagong University Movement Council. Later, on December 30, 1962, the Chittagong University Students Movement Council was also formed. The functions of these committees include maintaining communication at various levels, setting up a memorandum of transmission, issuing media statements, and holding conferences strengthened public opinion in favor of the foundation of Chittagong University. On December 9, 1962, a general public meeting was held in Laldighi maidan at the beginning of a joint council to suppress this need. This was followed by a strike launched by the Student Movement Council at all Chittagong educational institutions on January 8, 1963. Meanwhile, on November 29, 1963, Fazlul Kader Chowdhury was elected Speaker of the National Assembly. In the absence of President Ayub Khan, on December 12, 1963, he chaired a Cabinet meeting as Acting President and called on the Minister of Central Education ATM Mostafa to take steps to establish a third public university in East Pakistan in Chittagong. Funding for the construction of Chittagong University was allocated on March 9, 1964, at a meeting of the National Economic Council, also chaired by Fazlul Kader Chowdhury. A local selection commission was established with Dhaka University Vice-Chancellor Dr. M Osman Ghani as its chairman and Dr. Qudrat-e-Khuda, Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah, M Ferdous Khan and Dr. Mafizuddin Ahmed as members. The commission after examining whether it would choose the only hill station in Jangal Paschim-Patty mouza union Fatehpur under Hathajari Upazila as Chittagong University. Pakistani President Ayub Khan laid the foundation stone of Chittagong University on 29 August 1964. Professor of History, Rajshahi University, and Ex-Curator of the Varendra Research Museum Dr. Azizur Rahman Mallick was appointed Project Director of the University of Chittagong on December 3, 1965. He. set up the university’s project office in the ‘Kahkashan’ building on Road 3, Nasirabad Housing Society, Chittagong. All officials and staff of the university campus, the Department of Education has been transferred to the Pittagong University Project office by notice in a gazette issued on December 14, 1965. The university’s main program is ‘Bastukala’, an organization led by Archit Mazharul Islam. Initially, a two-story administration building, an office building, classrooms, and a library building were constructed. Student hostels and teachers’ dormitories were built in the first phase. Dr. Azizur Rahman Mallick was appointed First Chancellor of Chittagong University through the Chittagong University Ordinance established on 25 September 1966. Chancellor of the University and Governor of East Pakistan Abdul Monem Khan officially opened educational programs on 18 November 1966. The MA (preliminary) for the Departments of Bangla, English, History, and Economics under the Faculty of Arts started for the first time from 18 November 1966 with only 200 students and seven teachers. Dr. Abdul Karim joined as Student and Head of the Department of History while Mohammad Ali and Dr. Shafiul Alam were appointed as Reader and Head of the Department of English Languages and Economics respectively. Abul Kalam Manzor Morshed has joined as Head Teacher in Bangla. Professor Syed Ali Ahsan was the first professor at Chittagong University. All colleges within the Chittagong Division were brought under Chittagong University in 1967 to amend the Chittagong University Ordinance. The first (successful) exams under this university were conducted in 1968.
The following departments were opened at Chittagong University from the period 1968-69: Political Science, Commerce, Mathematics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics, the Sociology and Fine Arts departments were introduced from 1970. and Economics introduced from the 1968-69 study conference. The Science Center was created in 1969, and the social and commercial sciences were introduced in 1971. Currently, the University of Chittagong has thirty-six departments under six disciplines in the fields of art, science, business administration, social sciences, law, and health sciences; institutions with the Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries, the Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, the Institute of Social Sciences and Research, and the Institute of Modern Languages; one faculty- Medical Faculty; Two affiliated institutions – Institute of Community Ophthalmology and Institute of Child Health and 11 colleges. Various Chittagong University masters conduct studies and experiments on behalf of other bodies such as Bangladesh Military Academy, (Bhatiari), Bangladesh Marine Academy (Patenga), Bangladesh College of Forestry (Sholoshahar), Chittagong College of Fine Art and Bangladesh Naval Academy (Patenga). University of Chittagong awards honors, post-graduation, MBBS, DVM degrees, and diploma aside from high degrees like MPhil, Ph.D., MD, and MPH. Teachers, students, officials and staff of Chittagong University played a key role during the 1971 liberation war. The University Council was formed to strengthen the liberation struggle in a meeting held on 8 March 1971 with Vice-Chancellor Dr. AR Mallick in the chair. One teacher, eleven students and three university staff have accepted martyrdom in the liberation struggle. Mohammad Hossain, who works in the Department of Engineering at Chittagong University was honored with the ‘Bir Protik’ medal for his heroic role in the liberation struggle. Chittagong University regularly publishes other journals and research books. Pandulipi published by the Department of Bangladesh and Eco is the Department of Economic Affairs. The central university library has more than 300 thousand books, 3500 magazines, and Internet resources. The Chittagong University Museum, located next to the library, has been instrumental in preserving archeological finds in the region. University students regularly participate in a variety of creative activities, cultural competitions, sports, interview competitions, the basic program and Rover Scouts alongside academic activities. In 2010, Chittagong University had nine student dormitories, one hostel and accommodation for teachers and staff. There were 18,781 students, 648 teachers and 1947 support staff and administrators. The first meeting of Chittagong University was held in 1994. Early in 1981, a special conference was held to award DSc degrees to Nobel Lauriat physicist and world-renowned scientist Abdus Salam. An important professor’s chair has been created at Chittagong University following the naming of the national anthem, poet work, and Nazrul Islam.
History and Discoveries
Chittagong University is located on an area of 1,754 hectares of beautiful hilly land at Mauja Fatehpur under a hazardous hazard, 22 km north of the city of Chittagong. It was opened on November 18, 1966. Back in 1962, Mr. Mohammad Ferdaus Khan, Deputy Director of Public Studies for East Pakistan, prepared the first draft of Chittagong University. Prior to this, the Chittagong University Teaching Council was established in 1961 with Badshah Mia Chowdhury, a high-ranking social worker from Chittagong, as president and professor Ahmad Hossain of Chittagong City College as Convenor. Dr. Muhammad Shahidullah (1885-1969), Dr. Muhammad Enamul Haq (1906-82), and other intellectuals, educators, politicians, and social workers played a key role in the 1962 site elections. On December 3, 1965, Professor A R Mallick (1918-97), as the Project Director, launched the project to establish Chittagong University with only three staff members, a single writer, and a photographer at a house on Streets 3 of the Nasirabad Housing Society in Chittagong. The Ordinance of the University of Chittagong was announced on 25 September 1966 and Professor Mallick was offered the position of Vice-Chancellor on the same day. He re-appointed as the first Vice-Chancellor of the university on 9 October 1966. The university began its study program on 28 November with sections of the MA (Preliminary) program with only 200 students in the departments of Bangla, English, History and Economics under the influence of art. Shortly after the Medical, Engineering, Law, and Education Colleges were built outside the university campus they were introduced as separate faculties, and as a result, university education activities continued to grow. Under the auspices of the arts, the departments of Bangla, History and English were established in 1966, those of Fine Arts in 1970, Philosophy in 1972, Islamic History and Culture and Oriental languages in 1974, Arabic and indigenous languages. -Persian in 1977. 1994. These departments have a BA (Honors), MA (Preliminary), and MA (Final) programs. Under the auspices of Science, the Departments of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics were established in 1968, Mathematics in 1970, Zoology and Botany in 1973, Oceanography Institute in 1971, the Institute of Forestry in 1976, and the Research Center for Mathematical and Physical Sciences in 1989 The Nobel Prize-winning scientist Professor Abdus Salam was inaugurated. Departments under the auspices of the scientific organization have programs for B Sc (Hons), M Sc (preliminary) and M Sc (Final) programs. The Social Science Faculty was established in 1971. Under this foundation, the departments of Economics, Science, Sociology, Public Administration and Anthropology were established in 1966, 1968, 1970, 1980, and 1997 respectively. Departments under this course are BSS (Honors), MSS (Preliminary) and MSS (Final) programs. The commerce faculty was founded in 1971. Departments of this BBA (Honors) character and MBA programs. The Legal Department under the auspices of the Law was established in 1992. All skills are published in the research journal Chittagong University Studies (now called the Chittagong University Journal) divided by the name of a particular genius he possessed. Chittagong University Journal of Art, Chittagong University Journal of Social Science, Chittagong University Journal of Business and Chittagong University Journal of Law are published once or twice a year.